Top Faculty Paper
Regina Marchi (Rutgers): Meaningful Properties: Bathtub Madonnas as Media in an Italian-American Neighborhood in Transition.
Cornelia Brantner, Daniel Pfurtscheller, and Katharina Lobinger (IWAF Institute for Knowledge Communication and Applied Research): “People Only Share Videos They Find Entertaining or Funny.” Rightwing Populism, Humor and the Fictionalization of Politics. A Case Study on the Austrian Freedom Party’s 2017 Online Election Campaign Videos.
Katharina Lobinger (USI – U della Svizzera italiana), Benjamin Kramer (LMU Munich), Eleonora Benecchi (Università della Svizzera italiana), and Rebecca Venema (Università della Svizzera italiana, Institute for Communication Technologies (ITC))
Top Student-Led Paper
Marie Fioureaux & Baldwin Van Gorp (KU Leuven): Cartoons as Bridge Builders: Dialogues on Radicalization with the ‘Suspect Community’
Top Poster / Interactive Paper
Yu Ma (University of Copenhagen): Film Aesthetics of Circular Frame: A Case Study of Film “I am not Madame Bovary”.
Top Student Paper(s)
Jasmine Gray (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill): Life Plotting: A Self-Conceptualization Process.
Yuchen Liu & John Watson. (University of Kansas): Meme(bership) Cost: #JustDoIt: A Thematic Study of Internet Memes Following Nike’s Colin Kaepernick Ad
- Hanna Morris (University of Pennsylvania): Aesthetic Disruptions in Everyday Life: Resolving the Contradictions of a Cosmopolitan Ideal in Contemporary Berlin
- Xuelian He (Georgia State University): Spectator Multitude: The Epitomization of Reddit Place
- Rebecca Venema (UniversitaÌ della Svizzera italiana): Visuals and Visibility in Networked Public Spheres: The 2017 G20 Protests, New Avenues of Policing and Implications for Visual Communication Research
- Fan Liang (U of Michigan), Wei Chen (Information Technology Development Think-Tank, Hangzhou Dianzi U), and Li Cheng (Fudan U)
- Tali Aharoni (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
- T.J. Thomson (Missouri School of Journalism)
- Ally McCrow-Young (U of Copenhagen
Allison Kwesell (Embry Riddle Aeronautical University)